Countdown....

pregnancy

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Budgeting For Health



"Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have you declared legally insane in order to gain control of your estate."
Woody Allen

Before hubby and kids, I had no problem staying on the health train.  (Quick reference to a t-shirt I saw the other day... "I didn't say it was their fault, I said I was going to blame them.")  I belonged to a gym where I could go at my leisure any time I needed or wanted.  I could afford to buy Atkins Bars, South Beach meals, every book about getting fit that I could get my Books-A-Million book club member hands on, and cute little workout clothes which I wanted to go to the gym to show off.  I was the captain of my vessel and the wind in my sails.

5 years later enter in: mortgage payment, utility bills for an old drafty house, car payments, insurance, food for 4 people, clothes for 2 kids growing faster than dandelions on Miracle Grow, the emergencies of everyday life and the occasional date night that (albeit few and far between) can rack up some bucks.  And all this on one income.  

Hubby and I talked when I was pregnant with Baby #1.  I was working at a University with fairly good benefits and a mediocre job title making a mediocre salary.  We decided to be done with the mediocrity and tighten our belts so I could raise our son.  (We didn't know at the time that we would also be raising a daughter 13 months after our son was born but that's another story.)

There have been a few occasions when I consider that finances might be a bit easier if I worked, but then I usually feel a little tug on my trousers by a little hand that's attached to a little person asking me for a hug or for juice or to tell me that he or she just flushed some mardi gras beads down the toilet.  In any case, I know I'm exactly where I belong.

It is harder to keep on the healthy train now.  At least for me.  I have to plan my workouts again and convince myself that I don't need to taste their chicken nuggets to make sure they're cool enough.  There are things that Hubby can eat (like Ding-Dongs, Doritos, Nestle Crunch Bars, and potatoes) that I would love to eat but just can't without paying the price - so I choose not to.  I never used to have these things in my pantry so they were never an issue.  Now, to be clear, I rarely ever buy these things but somehow (ah-hem, hubby) they make their way into the house, then the pantry, and (until lately) in my thighs!!!!

And one of the most dangerous things about these little diet sabotagers is that they are SO convenient.  Just walk by the pantry, OH - look, it's open, I just need to shut this door, right after I grab a handful of animal crackers FOR NO FRICKIN' REASON!!!!!!!!! AND (while I'm at it) WHY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HEALTHY AND NUTRITIOUS, DOES A PACKAGE OF HOT DOGS (loaded with calories and fat and all things ugly) COST NINETY NINE CENTS AND FOR A POUND OF STRAWBERRIES I HAVE TO PAY THREE DOLLARS??????????

Okay, I'm done now.  Had to get that out.  

(Breathing in and out.....)

So, the million dollar question is - why does it always come down to money?  Actually that's NOT the million dollar question just something I was thinking while I was typing this.  The REAL million dollar question is, how to stay fit and on a budget?  

What are you looking at me for?  I have no idea.  I clip coupons - LOTS of coupons.  And I love them.  BUT I need to do more.  Hopefully this little article I found will be beneficial to both of us!

Healthy Eating on Any Budget

By JD Hoopes
Preparing healthy meals for your family or yourself on a daily basis can seem like a tough task. Many of us still tend to spend too much because we are pulled in by merchandising tricks at the grocery store. Advertisements suck us in by telling us that we need their product to be healthy, so we rationalize that it is worth the cost. Even if it is a product we would have never purchased if we had not seen the ad. 

In addition, just as many of us have a hard enough time thinking of more than a handful of healthy meals to prepare. We get into the habit of making the same dish over and over again. Just remember, you are in control of your budget, your kitchen, and your meals. With just a little creativity and a heap of self-control, you can enjoy great meals at little cost.

The myth that you have to sacrifice quality food when your on a budget is just that, a myth. No more can you use the excuse that junk food costs less. Quality, healthy food can be eaten on a daily basis, even on a bare bones budget. Lets review some simple tips of healthy eating that will just about tighten you wallet for you.

First, drink more water. Cutting out the colas and the juices and the sports drinks will save you a bundle and your body won't even miss them. You'll feel better because your more hydrated and you'll most likely have more energy than even drinking sugary sports drinks.

Second, limit junk food and alcohol. Reaching for the bag of chips instead of some freshly chopped carrot sticks because it supposedly costs less is nonsense. You'll most likely go through that 2.50 bag of chips almost in one sitting. If you had reached for that fist full of carrot sticks that cost about a dollar at the grocery store. You'll not only reap the nutritional benefits, but you'll feel more satisfied on less food from all the fiber.

Third, spice up your week with a variety of foods. You will likely go back to old junk food habits if you are bored with your healthy eating. So make a point to use a variety of foods every week.

Healthy eating takes some commitment and sometimes even a change of lifestyle. Though, once good habits are formed, they are easier to keep. A simple and non-intimidating way to approach these three tips on healthy eating is to only conquer one at a time. One week, drink more water. The next week, cut back on junk food and alcohol. Week three, work on choosing a variety of foods to prepare your meals with. It doesn't take rocket science to eat healthy on a budget, just commitment and a plan.

Next, start setting aside time each week to plan your meals. You can have stir fry Tuesday or pasta Friday. Every single meal of every day of the week doesn't have to be different. A little predictability is great for a budget. Just make sure to throw in a little variety now and then.

This is also a good time to plan your shopping trips. One key tip for staying on budget and eating healthy is to purchase just the items on your grocery list. Don't let emotional advertisements or stress get the better of you at the grocery store. Be in charge of your budget and have your emotions in check. You should also eat a meal or snack before going grocery shopping. This way you are not tempted to grab a whole slew of items that taste great, but aren't on your list. Sticking to your list and knowing how much you are going to spend ahead of time is real budgeting power.

Now that you've learned to eat wisely and plan your meals ahead of time, you can have fun with it! Replace that bag of potato chips and hamburger with some savory grilled mushrooms atop an inexpensive lean cut of beef or chicken. Replace your Mac n' Cheese with bow-tie pasta, marinara sauce and low-fat mozzarella. Go back to your old, dusty, recipe books and go through them with a plan to cook something new once a week. Likely, you'll find yourself overwhelmed by all the new dishes you want to create. Most importantly, you'll discover that just by using simple shopping and healthy eating techniques, you can certainly enjoy fine living on a budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment