Countdown....

pregnancy

Friday, September 10, 2010

Application is Everything


I recently had my annual physical examination, which I get once every seven years, and when the nurse weighed me, I was shocked to discover how much stronger the Earth's gravitational pull has become since 1990. ~Dave Barry

It really is amazing that two of the biggest industries revolve around junk food and weight loss. People spend billions of dollars of year on both. It's amazing.

My biggest problem is that I eat when I'm not hungry because .... um... well... hmmm..... I'll have to get back with you on that. My second biggest problem is that I continue eat even after I'm full because.... um... well... um.... Because I'm the mom and I say so. Oh wait, that "because" won't work for this. It rarely works on the kids anyway so I should really just strike it from my book of popular phrases.

And my third biggest problem is that I've gotten lazy and don't work out regularly because I don't have the energy that I used to because I gained some weight and since I've gained some weight I don't have as much energy as I need to workout regularly so I got lazy. HUH? It made sense in my brain, I think.

For all my reasons (and lack of good excuses) it comes down to this. I know where I am. I know how I got here and I know what it will take to get me back. I know all this!! But now it comes down to application. I mean, a person can KNOW how to use the toilet, but if you don't apply that knowledge, you'll just be sitting in a big pile of crap at the end of the day.

So, time to apply the knowledge. First to make a list - on paper, in writing - of why I'm journeying jeansward. And I mean a list of whys beyond the obvious fact that I refuse to buy jeans bigger than the ones I have. I have no problem having to buy anything smaller than I already have, however.

Second - add to that list a list of triggers that cause me to overeat, continue when I'm full, and when I feel lazy.

Third - a couple of realistic and specific goals. Add to that a reward that I will give myself after reaching that goat and maintaining it for at least 3 months. (NOTE TO SELF: A gallon of mint chocolate chip ice cream from Greaters is NOT an acceptable reward.) And I do this to visualize myself attaining this goal.

Fourth - I will begin to compile a resource database of recipes and exercises to help me accomplish this.

Fifth. I will do this today and I will begin my journey now.

For those of you who are journey jeanward with me, your homework is to do steps 1-3. We'll work on 4 together at the first meeting. Let me know if Sunday afternoon around 2:30 would work for everyone? We'll meet for an hour, make all the necessary introductions, discuss our goals, make a plan of what we can change for the next week, and sign a contract to ourselves, that we will do our best to keep our plan for the week.

If you can't make it, go ahead and make your list. After our meeting on Sunday, I'll update the blog on some tools and tips to help you make your week. This is going to be a great forum for asking for advice and giving encouragement!!!

And to my jeans I say, get ready!!! I'm comin' to getcha!

1 comment:

  1. I will be on vacation next week so my list might not go as planned but I do plan to exercise while on the beach and do water aerobics. I also plan to play some tennis in the Florida sun. I will miss the first meeting but plan to join the next. My biggest problem is ALWAYS feeling hungry. I feel that sometimes, food is all my brain thinks about. I wish I knew why??? My goal is a 17 pound weight lose by the end. Good luck to all and see you next meeting. Keiran

    ReplyDelete