Countdown....

pregnancy

Thursday, September 9, 2010

How It Came to Pass

It happened the other day. My jeans, who had stuck with me for the past year and half since I finally lost the baby weight from Katelyn, betrayed me. No longer did I see the relaxed and somewhat baggy fit. Instead, I saw rolls and lines. NOT GOOD. I knew that I had slowly been gaining a pound or two here or there but this was crazy! I guess it was I who I had done the betraying.

First, let me back up to the beginning. Actually, not sure if there's time (or interest) for that, so I'll skip to the middle.

Before Riley was born, I was proud to sport my 2 piece bikini and didn't even need to wear a cover up. Now I was no Victoria's Secret double by any means, but on the Ohio River, I felt relatively comfortable and maybe even a little confident. I worked out twice a day about 5 times a week and could walk into my closet knowing that everything fit and looked decent.

Exhibit A: 2005


Then I got - in a word - knocked up. (Okay - that's 2 words. I know. Moving on.) Shortly after finding out about the bun in the oven, I began to EAT. Whatever held all my common sense and nutrition knowledge shut off in my brain. The first couple months I gained 10 pounds.... with no end in sight. At first I was proud of my belly bulge until when I went for my 3 month check up the doctor told me that the baby was nowhere near that big and that my bulge was a direct result of almost daily Blizzards and mass consumption of previously taboo bread.

I should have heeded the warning, but instead I was so upset I had to head directly to Dairy Queen. Fast forward to December 24, 2006 and I had gained 65 pounds. Riley only weighed 8. I was hoping the placenta would tip the scales at at least 20 or so pounds, but I had no such luck.

I worked hard though after he was born. I was desperate to get back into my prebaby clothes. I lost 50 pounds the first 5 months and then got a shocker. Riley was going to be a big brother. I swore that this time I would not gain 65 pounds. And you can bet I didn't. I gained 75. I guess I should have been more specific with my goals.

Exhibit B: January 31, 2008. I post for this for 2 reasons. 1, to get the full effect of what gaining 75 pounds can do and 2, to prove that at one time I had boobs.


Anyway, again, I worked hard and by the time Boo was turning one, I was completely back into all my prebaby wardrobe and even weighed less than pre-Riley. Ryan and I were working out, running races, and limited our Bud Lite consumption to weekends.

Exhibit C: March 2009


BUT, sure as I'm sitting here (which reminds me, CRAP! I SHOULD BE WORKING OUT!) I've got about 18 pounds to lose. I got lazy and rediscovered Ritz crackers, Oreo cookies and have been to too many cookouts with too much good food!

Exhibit D: Early August. Notice the unsightly belly bulge, the extra chin, and ill fitting shorts (which were far too big last summer.)

So, it begins now. Back to my jeans, back to my health, and back to me.

Thanks to my friends who have decided to go on this journey with me. I'll be posting some recipes, maybe some exercises, and an agenda for our first THINTERVENTION meeting - which will be soon. I will not let my husband see me naked until I get this weight off. Well, that's not entirely true. I will not let my husband see me naked with the lights on until these 18 pounds are history!!!!!!!

If you'd like to add posts to this blog, shoot me an email at dana.diehlman@gmail.com and I'll add you to the admin list.

Time to work off the donuts!!!!

1 comment:

  1. In 1995 I was pregnant with my first. Exercised, and still gained 89 pounds. It took me five years teaching aerobics, etc. to get to pre-prgnancy weight. 5 years to the day that I had my first, I fit in to old cloths. However, that evening found out pregnant with second and went on to gain 90 pounds with my second. Its been 9 years (almost 10) and I still have 20 which I just can't get rid of....I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete