Countdown....

pregnancy

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Choosing Health


"A diet is when you watch what you eat and wish you could eat what you watch."
— Hermione Gingold

I have decided I don't like the word diet.  It sounds too restrictive. In fact, diets are totally restrictive.  That is why I don't want to be on diet - ever.  As I said yesterday, time to change some thinking.

I am hosting a bake sale for Cookies for Kids' Cancer.  The bake sale is Saturday and I'm trying to get some cookies made a little at a time.  (I've never hosted a bake sale.  And I don't know any child with cancer - which would be the reason I'm having this bake sale.  I don't ever want to have to know a child with cancer.) 

Now I love cookies, cakes, ice cream, in fact, unless you're talking about sodas, I love everything with sugar and/ or chocolate.  With a passion.  Okay, with many passions.

Anyway - I made some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies yesterday with the kids.  They love them.  And since starting my Journey Jeansward, I (laughing at myself) somehow though I would immune to the smell of those rich, fluffy cakelike cookies that were calling my name like Homer's sirens.  (Sorry, got a little drool on the keyboard.  Slight pause.....)

Suddenly the victim-oriented thinking came into play and I began to feel sorry for myself that I don't have the metabolism like my husband and I can't lose five pounds when I snap my fingers and I have this stupid sweet tooth that takes up my entire mouth and....  whoa...  Let's just leave that tangent right there.

So I made a choice.  I said to myself not, "I can't have a cookie."  Instead I said, "I choose not to."  It was actually somewhat of climactic moment.  We can choose to be victims or we can choose to have power and be in charge.  Just practice that little line next time temptation knocks.  Choose you.  Choose your health.  Choose power.

No comments:

Post a Comment